Re: [Captive-portals] API / ICMP for status and remaining time

I think a hybrid approach, ICMP/API, would be efficient .  One scenario I see frequently is

User connects to access point 1 and has internet
User starts an internet session
User moves closer to access point 2(different network w/ captive portal) automatically connects due to RSSIs
User sends packets as if the device has internet

Many devices won't even re-IP or send a DHCP discover even though are on a different network completely. The ICMP response for these packets could trigger the captive portal faster for a better user experience.

For the DHCP option from RFC7710, is it correct to say a device should not assume the device is behind a captive portal based on that option being present in the DHCP offer?  If the option stays after authentication, the device can still receive that URL if it were used as an API endpoint.  Then ICMP could be the mechanism for state.