From: David Bird <[email protected]>
Date: Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 7:42 AM
To: John Mann <[email protected]>
Cc: Ben Campbell <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, Hirotaka Nakajima <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, The IESG <[email protected]>, Barry Leiba <[email protected]>, Warren Kumari <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Captive-portals] Ben Campbell's Yes on charter-ietf-capport-00-01: (with COMMENT)

Sorry for the late comments here,

With respect to:
Out of scope are "roaming" or federated types of solutions (Passpoint,
eduRoam, iPass, Boingo), which use mechanisms such as 802.1X or a client
application to authenticate. These are not really captive portals, and
have largely been solved in other ways.

- What do others think about excluding 'network selection' in general from the scope? (i.e. 'on-boarding' onto secure wireless, which starts to overlap with HS2.0).

- While I agree that roaming and federated solutions are out of scope, it might be too strong to outright exclude HS2.0/Passpoint, iPass, Boingo, and the like. In HS2.0 release 2, for example, an OSU network can have a captive portal (and I think capport work could apply here) - likewise, I think iPass and Boingo (apps) could benefit form the simplifying of captive portal interactions. (Additionally, even if a network uses 802.1x or an application to authenticate, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be and remain captive portal free -- consider the scenario where a user is being required to top-up their account balance to continue using the 802.1x network).

Suggested text:
Out of scope are "roaming" (federation of credentials), network selection, or the on-boarding/provisioning of clients onto secure (or any alternate) networks. These are not captive portal specific problems and have largely been solved in other ways.