Using ECC keys in GPG - why is this still deprecated?

Why is GPG so reluctant to let you use ECC keys? Is it just a backward
compatibility thing, or are they not trusted yet?

I have the code written to use GnuPG 2.x with Confidant Mail, and I am
trying to decide whether to ship GPG 1.4.x or 2.x with the next Windows
build. If I ship 2.x and people start using ECC keys, then 2.x is
effectively mandatory from then on. What do you think?

Mike