Replacing corporate search engines with anonymous/decentralized search

I'd like to ask people to wonder what Search Engines really do for us.
Where is the catalog? Where is the cultivated list of good resources?

Do search engines provide the same level of guidance to its users that a
written overview can?

Why don't we create a distributed website catalog? It's harder, as
anti-spam is the core feature. But competing with Google seems rather
foolhardy at the moment.

Maybe the word catalog isn't right, catalogs are too static and not
discovery targeted at all.

Maybe a Yahoo! answers type of tagging/cataloging would work rather well.

Anyway: think about it guys! I'm sure there's a better way than "this
keyword is also in this page which links to other good pages"!