Open phones for privacy/anonymity applications, Guardian

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
> I lightly consulted with an operator and all he/she could
> offer was "Does Alexey mean the source to A5?" so I'll have
> to ask what it is that cannot be legally used in the U.S.?
> Anybody can implement and then open source any of the GSM
> standards (other than the crypto) so far as I know.

the FCC/NTIA don't like people using spectrum with unapproved devices.

sure, you can code it up. and sure, you can run an SDR in that range.

... but put them together in the wild at useful dBi and you're
stepping on toes.  try to sell/distribute such a setup? better have it
certified!

good analysis of the details:
  http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/fcc-sdr-whitepaper.html
"""
...the FCCâ??s ancillary jurisdiction cannot reasonably extend to the
development of software by parties uninvolved in the marketing or sale
of radio devices...

FCC Rules for SDR Device Certification Only Affect Radio Equipment
Manufacturers...
"""