Re: salt prints - at last!

Date: 11/08/05-04:29:34 PM Z
Message-id: <>

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks! And I got your message of yesterday. I would love to have one of your prints and will send you a salt print, unless you want only 3x4s.

Texas warm weather sounds great. I sure miss the warm Arizona winters.


Judy Rowe Taylor
Mukilteo, WA
Art is a voice of the heart, a song of the soul. or
> They look great, Judy! Keep up the good work and I hope to see some 3x4 
> prints soon, too :-)
> wrote:
> >Greetings,
> >
> >Although I am in the midst of renovating my web site, I have a couple of pages 
> ready and would like to report that I have now come up with a consistent 
> (more-or-less :-) procedure for salt printing that is working well for my 
> situation.  Two of a series of 3 images of a piece of farm equipment are posted.  
> >
> >Also posted is my procedure for developing 3.25 x 4.25 sheet-film negs from my 
> vintage Voigtlander Avus...the whole set-up cost less than $6, is working great, 
> and may be of interest to others.  No prints from the negs yet...but soon!  The 
> Avus is great fun!
> >
> >To see either go to:
> >
> >
> >
> >Select "Photo Art" from the left nav bar, then Salt Prints to see the prints 
> (yellow arrows are the links) or scroll on down and select "Sheet Film" (then 
> the Procedure link) for the $6 set-up!
> >
> >The original negatives for the two salt images posted were made with a vintage 
> Argoflex E twin lens reflex camera (ca. 1947 version of this model).  I scanned 
> the 60 cm x 60 cm in-camera negs (with Epson 3170), enlarged in Photoshop and 
> then cropped these two images to  a size I wanted to print.  Image No.3 is 
> uncropped (I amazed myself by getting the composition I was after, considering 
> the ground-glass focusing screen of the old Argoflex is very very dim, 
> especially around the edges), but, alas, the first digineg was way too 
> contrasty. Back to that one later....Diginegs were prepared using Clay Harmon's 
> procedure (modified a bit - orange ink R190 G64 B0 for image; black border as 
> mask as I wanted crisp edges for these particular prints) and printed with Epson 
> 2200 on Pictorico OHP.  My UV light box is fitted with six 13-watt screw-in 
> fluorescent BLBs.  Exposure time was 17 minutes.  I also tried palladium toning 
> one print and really like the warm tone; however, the final im
> > age was a little too light so will try a bit longer exposure next time.
> >
> >My salt printing steps evolved from reading about this process in three 
> references (Webb & Reed, Christopher Janes and Wynn White) along with some trial 
> and error!  It is an amalgam of the three plus some technique that works for my 
> set-up.  As everyone else says, fixing and clearing are critical.
> >
> >Cheers!
> >Judy
> >
> >--
> >Judy Rowe Taylor
> >Mukilteo, WA
> >Art is a voice of the heart, a song of the soul.
> >
> > or
> >
> >  
> >
Received on Tue Nov 8 16:33:33 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 12/01/05-02:04:49 PM Z CST