[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[ale] [OT] my hard drive raid array is making funny noises....
- Subject: [ale] [OT] my hard drive raid array is making funny noises....
- From: warlord at MIT.EDU (Derek Atkins)
- Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 14:26:45 -0500
- In-reply-to: <[email protected]om> (Jim Kinney's message of "Fri, 7 Feb 2014 10:18:45 -0500")
- References: <[email protected]om> <[email protected]om>
Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:
> OK. I get the lead drive (top center facing the camera) sound is made by
> driving the head to seek to make tones. The other drives are a zillion years
> old and aren't moving fast enough (to my eye) to make the low tones I'm
> hearing. Start up noises, maybe?
> heh, heh. talk about "techno" tunes :-)
They are floppy drives, so they are spinning slower than an HDD. It's
probably a combination of specific sector reads to get the heads to move
appropriately for the various frequencies.
Man this is a cool hack!
Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/ PP-ASEL-IA N1NWH
warlord at MIT.EDU PGP key available