[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[ale] what's the difference between
- Subject: [ale] what's the difference between
- From: david at tuxteam.com (David Tomaschik)
- Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:05:16 -0500
- In-reply-to: <[email protected]>
- References: <[email protected]>
/dev/random is a high quality (cryptographic) random number generator, and
will block if there is insufficient entropy. /dev/urandom will use a
pseudo-random number generator to fill requests instead of blocking like
2008/12/5 Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
> /dev/random and /dev/urandom?
> /dev/random is very slow and on a newly installed machine `cat /dev/random`
> does little. Same machine `cat /dev/urandom` fills the screen quickly.
> Is there a way to "add entropy" to get /dev/random to fill quicker?
> James P. Kinney III
> Ale mailing list
> Ale at ale.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...