[ale] RHEL 4 on HP Integrity (ia64)

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of
To: ale at ale.org
Vernard Martin
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 10:55 AM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] RHEL 4 on HP Integrity (ia64)

Check the BIOS of your unit and see if it has console redirection turned

on. I've seen some Dell units that won't display anything on the VGA
output if that console redirection is enabled.

On a related note, I don't recommend using Itanium machines for any
applications unless you either 1) are writing your own code that does
tons of floating point operations so that your compiler can optimize for

the Itanium architecture or 2) you are using third party software that
is specifically optimized for the Itanium architecture.

It was, in fact, the console redirection built into the BIOS...
Apparently, it will display on VGA if you're using ttyS0 once you get
started, but won't interact with the local keyboard. I ended up changing
the primary display to VGA and it worked fine.

We are using third party software that is specifically designed to run
on the IA64 architecture (although the same software runs on x86 as well
with different binary installers). In fact, the company hasn't certified
some of the software to work in 64 bit environments and we are also
maintaining a 32 bit loaner until that certification process is complete
and the app is officially supported.

Thanks,

Lane