[no subject]

-- Joe Knapka

"Greg" <runman at speedfactory.net> writes:

> I think OSPueblo and Libranet might be worth your time to look at.
>
> Greg

&gt; From: ale-bounces at ale.org [<a  rel="nofollow" href="mailto:ale-bounces";>mailto:ale-bounces</a> at ale.org] On Behalf Of aaron
&gt; Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 2:00 PM
&gt; To: ALE
&gt; Subject: Re: [ale] Still no flames... :-) (re: PDF &amp; distro hunting)
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; On Tuesday 23 August 2005 21:16, James P. Kinney III wrote:
&gt; &gt; On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 16:36 +0000, aaron wrote:
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Actually, as I understand the workings of OSeX, even if the
&gt; &gt; &gt; application
&gt; isn't
&gt; &gt; &gt; directly supporting PDF, every aspect of the display system and user
&gt; &gt; &gt; interface will be!  :-)  Quite literally, everything one sees on a
&gt; &gt; &gt; Mac OSeX  screen is rendered PDF.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; I thought it was native postscript. PDF is basically compressed
&gt; &gt; postscript.
&gt;
&gt; Thank you for the correction. I was forgetting that point of distinction
&gt; between PDF and PostScript.  Still, saving PDF screen shots and publishing
&gt; anything printable as a PDF file are fully integrated into Mac OSeX.
&gt;
&gt; &gt; So the decompression for each screen update would explain the lag time
&gt; &gt; on a Mac ?! &lt;ducks for the flame-proof underwear&gt;
&gt; &gt; --
&gt;
&gt; No flames, but I'll note that I'm currently running test installs with
&gt; several Linux distros in an attempt to find one that even comes _close_ to
&gt; providing the immediate user feedback and interface consistency that I find
&gt; throughout the OSeX environment and applications (commercial, freeware, OSS
&gt; or
&gt; otherwise) accross a range of systems with various CPU speeds .
&gt;
&gt; My goal is to find or assemble a Linux distro that addresses the needs of
&gt; Linux newbies and intermediate level users seeking safe harbor from the
&gt; assaults of windblows. The key design requirements are that the install
&gt; provide a suite of common apps and run responsively on slightly older,
&gt; slightly slower hardware, yet present a reasonably consistent and modern
&gt; user experience (ideally with enough interface familiarity that basic system
&gt; management, app launching and interface usage can be explained to an average
&gt; user in a 30 minute video tutorial).
&gt;
&gt; My observations so far are that KDE and some branches of Gnome have made
&gt; major strides in presenting a more unified GUI and basic application suite
&gt; environment, but even with KDE I'm finding significant inconsistencies in
&gt; responsiveness, preferences, user experience and bug sets between one distro
&gt; and the next.
&gt;
&gt; Don't get me wrong, because this isn't complaining, just observation. I love
&gt; the flexibility, free beer and freedom that spring from Open Source anarchy,
&gt; but fully understand their are going to be trade offs and extra learning
&gt; efforts.  I really want to prove that Linux is, in every way, ready for the
&gt; desktop, but I don't have unfair expectations that free software should
&gt; provide the same levels of consistency and integration that the more
&gt; regulated design requirements of commercial development can (potentially)
&gt; facilitate. I'm just trying to find or assemble a freely distributable
&gt; packaging of Linux / OSS essentials that does a respectable, consistent  job
&gt; of addressing the needs of the average, present day, desktop internet
&gt; computer users (while avoiding geek treks into lands of shell commands and
&gt; config file editing).
&gt;
&gt; I've still got a few promising Linux distros to try out, like the Vector
&gt; Linux ISO I'm downloading now, so I'm holding to the belief that the
&gt; solutions are out there.  In my evaluations I'll also need to remember that,
&gt; after a decade and a half of running Amiga's, I'm especially spoiled about
&gt; GUI responsiveness.  The Amiga developer style guidelines specified that
&gt; visual response to user actions occur within 3 seconds (-;  allowing that
&gt; the GURU MEDITATION crash alert sometimes qualified as the visual response
&gt; ;-)
&gt;
&gt; peace
&gt; aaron
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; _______________________________________________
&gt; Ale mailing list
&gt; Ale at ale.org
&gt;
&gt; --
&gt; No virus found in this incoming message.
&gt; Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
&gt; Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release Date: 8/23/2005
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; --
&gt; No virus found in this outgoing message.
&gt; Ale at ale.org

</pre>
<!--X-Body-of-Message-End-->
<!--X-MsgBody-End-->