[ale] OT: Ethernet over cat-3?

Guys,

I have a wireless segment of my home network I'd like to replace with a
wired segment.  Problem is, pulling cable from my switch to the
destination computer would be a *real* pain.  There is, however, an unused
phone jack near my switch, and the other end of the cable is easier to
access in the crawl space.  I'd like to splice in a cat-5 from switch to
the phone jack, run the signal over the phone wire to the other end, and
then splice with another cat-5 for the remainder of the trip to the
computer.

As long as I get transfer/receive wired up properly, will I hit any major
problems?

Thanks!
John