[no subject]

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 03:42:46PM -0500, Jay Finch wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Let me just say up front that I don't want to start a "Distro War" - but I
> would like some feedback before I make a lasting decision.
>
> -------
>
> A little Background:
> I have a server that's hosting about 60-80 domains, and handling all of
> their E-mail, Web and Database access.  About 6 months ago, my machine
> began to exhibit signs of slowness & lag.  Based upon the increasing
> amount of Spam and such, I've finally nailed down the slow reaction times
> to the E-mail pre-processing I'm doing, and have decided to split the
> Mailserver from the main Web/DB server.  (This is to improve the average
> Web Users experience when accessing any of the sites I'm hosting.)
>
> That said, I'm currently running RedHat 9 on the main box (with yum
&gt; getting patches from <a  rel="nofollow" href="http://www.fedoralegacy.org";>http://www.fedoralegacy.org</a>), and am wondering:
&gt; Should I stick with Redhat or go with another Distro?  (And if Redhat,
&gt; should I go with FC3, or go with an EL version?)
&gt;
&gt; I'm running Qmail, with Vpopmail &amp; Qmailadmin on the box, and want to keep
&gt; those tools.  I'm also running Qmailscanner &amp; ClamAV installed as per
&gt; <a  rel="nofollow" href="http://www.qmailrocks.org";>http://www.qmailrocks.org</a>
&gt;
&gt; I'm pretty familiar with RPM, but not so much with any of the other
&gt; package managers.  I'd like to keep things installed using Packages as to
&gt; keep my upgrade/update path fairly easy.
&gt;
&gt; This new machine will be exclusively a Mailserver - No web, limited DB (as
&gt; required by Vpopmail), but no other extraneous processes.  I will have
&gt; OpenSSH installed on it so I can remote admin into the box and maintain
&gt; it.  There will be no user accounts on the machine other than the personal
&gt; account I will create for administration using sudo.
&gt;
&gt; -----
&gt;
&gt; Based upon these specifications &amp; needs, is there another distro which
&gt; would work better?  I'd prefer to stick with Linux, as it's the *nix I'm
&gt; most familiar with.  (I'm not adverse to learning a *BSD, but don't want
&gt; to do it as an exercise in configuring &amp; setting up my new Mailserver.)
&gt; The Distro's I'm familiar with are Redhat (pre-Fedora/EL), Slackware &amp;
&gt; SuSE.
&gt;
&gt; Any feedback is appreciated.
&gt;
&gt; Thanks in advance!
&gt; Jay
&gt;
&gt; _______________________________________________
&gt; Ale mailing list
&gt; Ale at ale.org

James Sumners
<a  rel="nofollow" href="http://ug.dyndns.org/~jsumners/";>http://ug.dyndns.org/~jsumners/</a>

&quot;All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted.&quot;

CH:D 59

</pre>
<!--X-Body-of-Message-End-->
<!--X-MsgBody-End-->