[ale] webpage access authentication in apache

Also make sure you have 'AuthOverride' set to at least 'AuthConfig' for the top
level directory which you wish to protect.

On Mon, 12 May 2003 12:08:54 -0400 (EDT)
Jerry Yu <z.yu at voicecom.com> wrote:

> 	apache process (user/group=nobody/nobody, usually) needs to be
> able to transverse down /var/www/passwd and read your passwords file.
>
> On 12 May 2003, Christopher Russell wrote:
>
> #webpage access authentication in apache
> #
> #QUESTION:
> #How should I setup a protected directory for a webpage visitor, in
> #apache, (httpd-2.0.40-11.3)?
> #I read <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html> but perhaps
> #I'm missing something. The instructions clearly give a choice of
> #altering the .conf file, which is my choice, versus an .htaccess
> #solution. Have I done all that is required with the .conf file?
> #
> #WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
> #The password (in its simplest form) gets created, and delivered to the
> #appropriate file. When attempting to access the directory on the webpage
> #the "Restricted Files" dialogue box appears, but it will not accept my
> #password. Advice to a newbie, please!
> #
> #The ONLY change I have made to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf is below the
> #'section' that reads:
> #"# The following lines prevent .htaccess and .htpasswd files from being
> #viewed by Web clients."
> #My only change is:
> ## CR: May 11, 2003. My attempt at getting auth using directory access.
> #<Directory /var/www/html/unix>
> #AuthType Basic
> #AuthName "Restricted Files"
> #AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd/passwords
> #Require user chris
> #</Directory>
> ## CR: End of my insertion.
> #------
> #
> #Creating the passsword in the terminal window:
> #
> ## /usr/bin/htpasswd -c /var/www/passwd/passwords chris
> #New password:
> #Re-type new password:
> #Adding password for user chris
> ##
> #
> ## /etc/init.d/httpd restart
> #Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> #Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> ##
> #------
> #
> #I sure would appreciate being told what did I do wrong!
> #
> #Thanks in advance,
> #Chris
> #
> #
> #
> #
>
> Jerry Yu				+1-404-487-8544 (O)
> systems engineer			jerry.yu at voicecom.com
> is support, voicecom, llc		www.voicecom.com

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted.

Missionara Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
CH:D 59