[ale] Bleeding edge linux?

I don't know about optimized assembly code, but I do know that gcc can
optimize for specific classes of processors, e.g., i586, Athlon, etc.
Gentoo probably comes pretty close to optimized as you can get, practically
speaking.

But if you want to have even more control over the way the system is built,
try Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org).  With it you can
do nice little things like copying the statically-linked version of bash you
start out with to /sbin/bash and setting it as root's shell... just in case,
you know...

---