[ale] Debian make-kpkg trouble

Hi all,

I am on debian unstable. Needed to recompile the kernel, so I decided to
grab the latest - 2.4.18
this thing just will not boot, first samba mounts, ten usb subsystem will
hang the pc.
So I reverted back to recompiling 2.4.17 now here is where the problem is.
make-kpkg kernel-image
is in an infinite loop, I see it do config, compile, and then again config,
compile ... repeat.
reinstalled kernel-package, kernel source, searched the www, nothing seems
to help.

any clues?

Tomas

---