[ale] debian gui prob

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 05:10:57PM -0700, Stephen Turner wrote:
> no screens selected? i believe was the error... i
> tried startx after makeing a fresh install of woody
> and dl from the debian server the gui and desktops. i
> had 2 different resolutions set to use.. one i know is
> supported by my geforce... i selected the nv driver i
> believe nv is the nvidia driver but im not positive...
> any input or help would be much appreciated.

You may want to check this.  While making your fresh copy of woody.
Your problem seems more on the configuration, I'd hate for you
to get stuck on the configs, while Woody's X isn't quite as stable
right now.

_______________
I apt-get upgraded last night, and all of a sudden, I couldn't start
X; things kept failing. I tracked down the bug, in
xfree86-common. It's been fixed in the unstable version, but a quick
workaround if you want to stay w/ testing and you have the problem is:

edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start, and remove the quotes
from around "$REALSTARTUP". That's it. Should be ok then.

A colleague of mine just dropped it off this morning.  And it seems
this ONLY affects Woody, NOT Sid.

Let us know if it helps,

Mark Hurley

---