[ale] Using PCMCIA services under Suse 5.3 on Toshiba Satellite 490CDT

I just instaled SuSE 5.3 on my Toshiba Satellite 490CDT. However, the
pcmcia services don't seem to start up at boot. I cannot find an option
in YasT to enable pcmcia services so I was wondering if anyone on the
list had any experience with this.

Also, does anyone know how to modify the XF86Config file so that it
defaults to a higher resolution than 8 bpp? I know that I can use
"startx -- -bpp 24" to do it manually but I want to have it does that
without having to type so long a line. I am using kde as my window
manager (in case that is useful).

Thanks
sc